Wednesday, February 6, 2008

What else is new?


Good news! Kurt passed his last ordination exam yesterday. I went to the Presbytery meeting with him at Christ Pres in Olive Branch (lovely church & great staff). The morning was filled with a review of the minutes from the last meeting and lots of executive decisions, along with some preaching and exams for transfers into our presbytery (Covenant). I had the best time! Kurt said it would be boring, but I enjoyed seeing the ins and outs of our denomination and how it is run. There were lots of "second" and "aye"s, and a few "nay"s. Kurt said he'd send me as his representative from now on since I liked it so much. Ha! Anyway, after lunch, Kurt was examined along with 4 other guys, all fairly young. They got grilled pretty well, and the questions were very difficult, but Kurt kept his cool and passed with flying colors! I was so proud of him...and also very thankful that I will never have to do anything like that. Kurt's installation/ordination service will be February 17 (Sunday) at 6:00 PM at Lawndale Presbyterian Church in Tupelo. You are invited!

Also, the weather looked pretty nasty last night on the weather channel, but it didn't hit Tupelo very hard, if at all. I feel so badly for the families in TN, AR, and KY who lost loved ones, and my heart goes out to them. However, the storm did cause something pretty terrible to happen in the Cooper home. That's right. The freaking power went out again. I had to get up at 4:30 this morning and turn off our beeping (literally) house alarm. What's worse, Kurt missed prayer breakfast this morning because his alarm didn't go off because the power went out. Do you see how power outages can ruin a person's morning, entire day, or maybe even life? It really is one way that Satan attacks us! (I'm not crazy.) I dread going home today and having to reset all the clocks. I really REALLY hate that.

On another note, I've decided to give up carbonated beverages for Lent. I do not normally practice Lent...actually, I never have before, but I think it will be neat to try it. Here's why I'm giving up carbonated beverages: because I hardly ever drink them. It will be easy to give them up. I know this defeats the purpose of Lent - taking the easy way out - but I'm starting small. So, cheers to me!

4 comments:

  1. I love the way you illustrate your blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats, kurt! we're not envious of you being in that stressful situation, but here's a high five for making it through (with flying color, no less)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Reverend Cooper! If I know him as well as I think I do, I'm sure Mr. Barefoot absolutely grilled you with questions. I'm glad to see you still prevailed even under such pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my first time to practice lent as well. i know FOR A FACT that i couldn't give up carbonation. i would be a mean mean person. i'm attempting to give up sweets. we'll see!

    ALSO..congrats to your hubby!!!i know you're proud!

    ReplyDelete