Thursday, February 14, 2008

Beware of the scam!



Millions of Americans were robbed today. The culprits were mostly women who are probably well-liked and usually well-meaning. But today, florists all over our country robbed people - lovers, friends, family - who simply wanted to celebrate happiness and relationships...blah blah blah. Barf-a-rama.

Attention, everyone! Valentine's Day is a retail scam. It's a day for florists and other merchants to jack up the prices on roses, chocolates, and plush toys and prey on silly people who fall prey to their money-mongering schemes...or, what I call, highway robbery.

I sound pretty irate and militant against Valentine's Day, huh? I know that florists have to make a living, and I am not against that one bit. Heck, I like flowers and chocolate. However, I am against setting aside one day out of the year and forking over good money to "show someone you care." Come on, people! How cliche is this day? Most people think receiving something on Valentine's Day makes them special when, in fact, it means the total opposite. Here's why: because the majority of people participate in this day! This is not special - unique, different, set apart. It's normal. It's popular. It's status quo. Nay, it's trendy!

Really, I don't have anything against the idea of Valentine's Day (except, perhaps, for some lingering bitterness of never being anyone's valentine in high school...). My main problem with it is the ludicrous waste of money that occurs on this day. There are great ways to save money and do something even more special than calling in an order to a florist to "show you care," when actually caring should be a constant and daily pattern in all of our special relationships.

Here are some suggestions:
1. Cook your Valentine's favorite meal. This morning, I baked Kurt some blueberry muffins. I don't cook breakfast during the week, so this was a treat. Sweet and cheap! And, much appreciated.
2. Make your own Valentine. This morning I arrived at work and my boss hadn't gotten his wife any flowers for Valentine's Day. So, I went on my tirade about florists robbing people blind, yada yada. I suggested that he go to Kroger (or Wal-Mart) and buy a few bouquets and a vase and make his own arrangement for her. It saves money and adds a personal touch. He liked my idea so much, he put me on the task. So, I bought 4 bouquets for $22 and made a lovely arrangement, if I do say so myself.
3. Write your own card. Instead of relying on a poem or witty phrase from Hallmark, express your own feelings to your special someone. Even if it's not Shakespearean, it'll still show that you care.

See, it's not actually the thought or the cash that counts; it's the effort. And, even though Kurt knows my stand against this day's scams, he got me some flowers anyway. And his mom got me a massage. And Bon Bon sent me something in the mail. And Becca's mom sent me a card. Perhaps these nice gestures will help assuage my rage because they were all personal, thoughtful, and not ordinary in the least. Even if I am a bitter, ole haint on Valentine's Day, I'm a thankful, bitter, ole haint.

4 comments:

  1. except, perhaps, for some lingering bitterness of never being anyone's valentine in high school...

    i'm right there with you, martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to love your passion... and I do quite agree with your view of Valentine's Day. It really isn't a big deal to me, b/c I excpect to be adored and loved everyday of the year my Ryan. I told him to please not do anything much at all for this day, explaining that is really doesn't mean that much to me, just a day to boost retail after the Christmas lul. But, I have to admit, when the day arrives... I would be hurt if I didn't even get a little card or a single rose. Must be the girl in me. Which is exactly who this day is marketed for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on. I got the Bon Bon package as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so funny. Even though I it is true that it is a Hallmark holiday, I am not bugged about V-day one way or the other. It used to come and go like any other day, but now that I have a boyfriend we celebrate being together at any excuse.

    ReplyDelete