Thursday, September 27, 2007

Mr. Pibb and Red Vines equals crazy delicious!


So, I was sitting at my desk today at work in downtown Tupelo, and a ruddy man in a light green tank top and cut-off denim shorts walked by my window and hocked a loogie right outside it! Um, no thanks, buddy. ('A "loogie" is a slang expression used in North America to refer to a mass of sputum that is ejected from the mouth after being expelled from the throat of a person with nasal congestion. The expression "hocking a loogie" refers to expelling the phlegm in an obviously noisy manner involving violent vibrations of the uvular, producing a low, guttural, rumbling sound.' Thank you, Wikipedia. Also, according to Wikipedia, the loogie is cousin to the "snot rocket.") I have never been a hocker. Even when a person is sick, and others believe he or she should just "cough it up," I disagree. It's gross. I'd rather just swallow it and allow it to leave my body in its own way, in its own time. My grandmother on my dad's side (she passed away a few years ago and is not the grandmother who raised me, though I do love her dearly) used to open the car door at stoplights and hock loogies whenever she felt the need. That definitely did not get passed down to me. No, siree, Mama Lynn.

Also, if you are like me, you have been a bit disappointed since the SNL glory days of Will Ferrell, Cheri Oteri, Molly Shannon, Mike Meyers, etc. I have watched it a few times since then, and I have been pretty bored--nay, saddened. However, Andy Sandberg writes some funny short films and Chris Parnell is pretty hilarious, too. So, there is some redemption. My favorite one is called Lazy Sunday. It's not a new one, but I just love it. Keep the Sabbath, fools.

6 comments:

  1. I really don't think that I have ever read the definition of a "loogie" nor have I had the desire.

    Would one who is prone to do the loogie bit be called a "loogier" or a "loogie hocker?" "Snot rocket" is something that in all my years I have never heard -- must be a medical term.

    If one does the loogie thing, would he/she be likely to pick boogers?

    Thanks for the info, and I read this while trying to eat my lunch.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to comment on the SNL bit.

    I too, miss some of the ones from the past. Tina Fey was always my favorite -- a good writer, as well. She may still be on (haven't watched lately) but with a show of her own I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you crack me up!
    i've been stalking your blog for a while and i thought it was time for me to comment! :)

    glad to see a new blogger. i'm adding you to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this loogie talk makes me want to "lose my lunch" or "ralph" some might say...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete