Monday, January 28, 2008

An Unlikely Choice


I have discovered a new television show - LOST. Of course, I'm 3 seasons late. Kurt and I just finished the season 1 DVD tonight, and season 4 starts this week on television. A brother and sister in our youth group recommended we watch it, and Kurt accepted the offer without consulting me. I was not looking forward to the obligation to watch at least 1 episode of this drama (I don't usually like dramas) to appease the youngsters, but Friday night came with bad weather and nothing to do, so we popped in the first disc for a viewing. You see, I don't like suspenseful, dramatic television. My least favorite show of all time is 24. (Gasp!!) I know. So many intelligent, enjoyable people like it, but not I. No way. When we lived in Jackson, a group of our friends invited us over to watch some episodes of 24 and to eat pizza, as was their weekly tradition. I love pizza, so I conceded. After watching about 4 episodes back-to-back, it was over for me. I didn't sleep a wink that night. I was wired from all the suspense, and I couldn't get the violent images out of my mind. (I find no pleasure in seeing anyone get stabbed in the knee or bitten to death in the jugular. That is not entertainment.)Therefore, no more 24 for me!
I had the same reservations about LOST. I just can't afford to lose sleep over a television show, ya know? However, it is not as violent as 24, and it entices you little by little rather than dumping all the suspense on you all at once. It is also, to me, more creative than 24. There are so many background stories that are intertwined, and you learn a new pearl of knowledge about a character in each episode, but not enough to figure him or her out. Every person has his or her part in the survival and well-being of the people who are "lost." There are many spiritual parallels, elements, and conflicts as well. In short, we're hooked! We can't wait to watch season 2! I am still keeping my guard up, though. If it gets too unrealistic and "sci-fi," I won't like it anymore. We'll see. For now, I recommend it!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Fella, Season 1 of Lost is amazing, right? Sadly, I feel like it took a nose dive in Season 2 and onwards. My relationship with Lost is sort of like a bad high school relationship, Senior year. I'm too lazy to break up with the show because I've invested so much time in it and also, I know that the end is near anyway. I'm hoping they pick it up in the last two seasons.

    Do you watch Chuck? I figured you'd like the nerd humor.

    I've recently been going Netflixing the Wire like crazy. It's very gritty, but I think it's easily the best show on television (and I do love me some television).

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, david and I are right there with you. We finished Season one last friday and are on episode 8 of season 2. I've heard there are rough patches through both seasons 2 and three, but they pick up and especially up to the 4th season! I wish we were going to be able to watch the premier thursday night. I'll just have to tivo it for later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel has started watching it too and has recently completed a online-watching marathon of seasons 1-3. He is very excited about season 4 starting this week. Like you, he loves all the background stories. I have been skeptical and really don't want to get involved with another show, but I will certainly take your story into consideration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Lost club! Laura and I love it. Season 2 and 3 are a bit slow at times but the last 1/3of season 3 is great. Beware it does get a bit scifieey. Is that a word?

    ReplyDelete