Thursday, June 5, 2008

And you call yourself my friend...

There I was on Monday afternoon, in the Old Navy dressing room. I pushed the Old Navy baby stroller/shopping cart, scaled the sale racks, and filled it to the brim. This is my normal custom, you see. I grab almost every item in the store to try on, but I only end up actually purchasing a few things, and they are always always always on SALE. Like, big time sale.

I had been in the dressing room for about 10 minutes trying on this and that when I noticed that the next item up was a tunic-length black tube top. So cute! I slipped it over my head and to my dismay, there were some sort of sleeve-like openings that I had no idea where they went. I took it back off, studied the mysterious garment, and suddenly realized what it was. AN ADULT ONESIE. It was a swimsuit cover up. You know, a tube top with shorts - all one garment.

Ever heard of such? I have. In fact, I used to own one. It was a light bluish-green color with pockets on the front. During my freshman year at MSU (go Dawgs!), I put it on each time I exited the shower. Whereas most girls had wraparound towels with Velcro and their initials monogrammed on them, I had this creepy adult terry cloth onesie. Every time I wore it, my roommate laughed at me. Can you blame her?

I even wore it over my swimsuit at RUF Summer Conference...in front of boys! Unbelievable.
And guess what? My friends just let me do it. That's the thought that ran through my head as I confused that onesie for what would've been a very cute tube top in the Old Navy dressing room: "Why did my friends let me wear this same item in college IN FRONT OF OTHER HUMANS??"

Another embarrassing item my "friends" let me carry was what I have deemed the Hairy Bag. I noticed when I was a sophomore at MSU (go Dawgs!) that people started to carry their books in large purses or bags rather than the usual back pack. Of course, I wanted in on that trend. I had a purse that was medium sized, a mix of braided brown colors, with 2 round handles for toting. It was also really fuzzy, and it got fuzzier as I stuffed TOO MANY books in it and stretched it out!

As you can imagine from the description, this bag wasn't that great to begin with, but it got even uglier as the semester continued. It went from Hairy Bag to Snuffleupagus Bag because it got hairier and bigger and stretchier. The 2 handles weren't even big enough for me to carry it on my shoulder, yet I continued to carry it and look LIKE AN IDIOT the whole time! Meanwhile, none of my "friends" told me to "stop carrying such an idiotic bag and wearing that terry cloth onesie around!"

When I left Old Navy on Monday, I called this
friend and this friend to ask them WHY they let me walk around and look stupid in public in college!?! The only answer I got: laughter. I should've asked this friend and this one, but I would've likely gotten the same response.

To all my friends, please don't let me do that again! If you see me wearing or carrying something
that is absolutely atrocious, please tell me lovingly. And always have a cute replacement garment or item handy so that my feelings won't be hurt.

12 comments:

  1. Sorry about that. :)
    No, seriously, I don't remember the hairy bag, and I only vaguely remember the adult onesie masquerading as a swimsuit coverup. But I will try to be more observant from now on. :)
    I think you always look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. marty, many years ago when i was teaching high school, I taught for two periods with my pants zipper unzipped. i could tell that the vibe in the room was not quite right with the kids, but i couldn't put my finger on it. during the break between periods, i noticed the situation and took care of the problem. the next day i asked the studets why they didn't let me know i was exposing myself. someone finally ventured the question, "how do you tell your teacher in front of the class her pants are unzipped?" my response was, "you raise your hand and tell her!" her response was,"but wouldn't you be embarrassed?" my response was, "better than looking like an idiot!" so maybe your friends just didn't know how to tell you or even better didn't want to embarrass you. either way, tell them, "thanks a lot!" dk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I argue that none of us looked our best so we were oblivious to anyone else's fashion blunders. Don't make me start naming all of the things that I wore that you never called me out on...AND don't forget you owe me BIG time for not knowing I had a job for 3.5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I admit that during college I wore a BRIGHT orange onesie will getting ready in the morning, (hair and makeup) but never did I wear it in public. But I have to say, the little white onesie you show in oyur blog is, in my opinion, cute! I wouldn't think twice to wear it in public at the pool or whatever... but then again it seems like you would want to call me out on it if I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i bet the college onesie was a Grandmom purchase. I know Memer is always pulling out "cute" stuff that may have been at one time...like when Nixon was in office! We all had some bad looks...like my bangs that cascaded down my forehead until 7th grade! thanks, mom! I must say, from your pictures, you have been quite the fashion plate lately. Let's just say you were discovering your style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my friend you are hilarious. my wardrobe up until about a year ago should have been reprimanded by all of my friends. there definitely needs to be more fashion accountability in this world :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Marty Cooper, I am a friend of Ginger's and found your blog. I feel as though you and I were separated at birth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i remember the onesie! ha! but i just assumed you knew what you were doing

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok. love it, absolutely love it. please where the adult onesie so you and mary elliott can match.
    i wish i would've known yall were going to RYM. I have many fond memoried of boyfriend hunting in pananma city.
    also, my friend leslie is obsessed with your blog.
    keep making us laugh.
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow...I just read this one, and I was giggling the whole time!!!! I was that roommate, and I do remember Becca and myself poking a little fun at the onesie. Did we call it a "moo-moo"? I can't remember, but that sounds a bit familiar. I agree with Duggan, though:None of us really had a clue how bad we looked some times. I have a feeling that we will look back to these days years from now and laugh at the things we are wearing. Some people say we will do that about our wedding dresses, but I can't imagine that one yet.

    ReplyDelete