Monday, January 17, 2011

A Christmas Surprise

Well, here's how it started. Well, I guess you know how it started. I was a couple of days "late" (which never happens), so I took a pregnancy test. I was surprised to find this result:

So, I drove to the church to tell Kurt (took Winnie with me, of course). When we got home, we took these photos of our reactions:

So Kurt and I kept it a secret for another 2 weeks, until Christmas. Then we told our families, and swore them to secrecy.

Back story: Both my grandmother and Kurt's mom Barb had a rough year in 2010. My grandmother had to have emergency stomach surgery for a hole in her intestines in the fall. It was touch-and-go for a while, but she has recovered well since then. Barb got diagnosed with breast cancer last summer and had a double mastectomy and a subsequent stroke caused by a blood clot passing through a hole in her heart (that she was born with). Her recovery has been a difficult road for her, but she is doing really well now and is cancer free!

At each house for Christmas, after all the gifts were opened, we told my grandmother as well as Barb that we had gotten them an extra something "special" because they had a rough year. See the rest below...

Telling Marty's family on Christmas Eve:

Telling Kurt's family on Christmas Day:


Quite opposite reactions, huh? One was utter shock. (Sweet Granddad got teary-eyed.) The other was sheer joy. However, it took both parties a while to catch on to what we were telling them.

I love how Winnie joins in the excitement in the 2nd video. Ha. Sweet big sister.

Next we waited almost 3 weeks to tell anyone else, which was a huge feat for Barb because she was so excited. Every time she saw me during those 3 weeks, she squealed. And she's still squealing!

We wanted to wait to announce it to everyone else until I had my first sonogram -- where we got this:
Baby Cooper * 10 weeks * Due August 14, 2011

That little wiggle worm was dancing around (good moves, like its mama) and its heart was racing (we got to hear it!). It was so surreal, and I cried for quite a while during and after. Seeing our baby was amazing. There's nothing like it.

Obviously we feel very blessed and look forward to what this year will bring. Our friends and family have been so kind and encouraging. We are thankful to God for such blessings.

13 comments:

  1. These videos are absolutely priceless. I got teary-eyed watching them. SOOOO wonderful. I am so happy for y'all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thrilled for you...babies are amazing as I sit here with one sleeping on my chest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teared up at both videos...your sweet grandparents and barb is a hoot! i love how winnie participated in the excitement :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these!! I'm so excited for you guys--and the videos are PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word. i cried when Barb started squealing. This is how my family reacted when we told them I was pregnant for the first time and I cried then, too. I love it. I could watch that video ALL DAY! Congrats again, you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you both!! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These videos are incredible! I love that you got everyone's first reaction. I especially love the moment when Kurt's dad gets the hint, and Barb is still figuring it out. You can actually see the thought-wheels turning in her head, bless her heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see baby cooper!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really even know you and I'M SO EXCITED!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! This is so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!! This is so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barb needs to go viral!!!!!!!!! Grandmom amd Memer and Mert had the exact same reaction. I was like, are yall excited or not? I think it's a generational thing. Travis and I also loved listening to Kurt say, "it's gaut a date on it" in his thick MS accent. LOVE YALL and can't wait to meet baby Cooper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched Barb again tonight because she just makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete