Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bah, humbug!


Don't be fooled by the title of this post. I love Christmas-time, and everything that comes with it...well, almost everything. I don't like a few things, such as...


1. "Dirty Santa" parties. Well, I actually like the parties, but I do not prefer to call the game "Dirty" Santa. That adjective just makes jolly old Saint Nick sound like a fat pervert. In lieu of letting the image of a dirty old man ruin a fun gift exchange, I prefer to call it "Silly Santa" (less creepy) or simply "White Elephant."




2. Celine Dion. One aspect I dread about Christmas is hearing Celine Dion sing Christmas songs. You see, I despise her talent, so the only time I am forced to hear her is while shopping for Christmas gifts. It seems as if stores ramp up their Celine Dion playlists around the holidays. Today as I was browsing the aisles at TJ Maxx, her annoying voice was blaring through the speakers, and it reminded me of my college roommate from my freshman year. She broke out her Celine Dion - Christmas edition, like, before Halloween that year. Yikes.




3. Giant outdoor inflatable decorations. How better to ruin a front yard than to put the abominable Santa Claus out there? Don't forget the larger-than-life snow globe and super-sized Jesus and nativity scene. Classy, eh?

Do you have any scrooge-like inclinations this time of year? I tag Anna, Claire, Kellen/Becca, and Kurt to share.

6 comments:

  1. ugh! i couldn't agree more about the inflatable santas! can't stand them!

    oh, and celine dion? don't get me started.

    so fun to see you yesterday. you're cute. and your grandmother is too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really, really don't like the little drummer boy. call me crazy...must be all the pa rum pa pum pums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off Christmas is not about the music or inflatable ornaments or even presents for that matter. "CHRIST"mas is the celebration of Christ's birth!! Which is evident in your blog that you do not know Him, otherwise you wouldn't have the uncaring cold hearts that you two have. I enjoy listening to Celine Dion and I like what she stands for: her openness, honesty, true talent, caring for others and is the only celebrity that will stay behind after a show and sign autographs and taking pictures. It is people such as yourself who have no talent that are always the ones to hate those that do. As far as the music in the stores, buy a pair of earplugs while you are there...they aren't player the music to please you alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree about the inflatable Christmas "decorations". There are lots of them in our neighborhood. And, as Daniel and I noticed today, they look VERY sad when they are deflated and resting in a heap in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The response of "anonymous" (such internet bravery) above was totally out of line, and more than a little ironic. I don't know you, "anonymous, but I know my sister, and she is a beautiful Christian woman, inside and out.

    Expressing dislike of inflatable monstrosities is hardly "uncaring" or cold. Methinks perhaps anonymous just spent a fortune on a 20-foot Frosty the Snowman. Perhaps a stroll down to the home of the Southern Un-hospitality woman is in order.

    Why someone would get all bent out of shape just because another person doesn't share his or her love of Celine Dion is quite beyond me. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me that Alison Krauss sings like an angel.

    Okay now that I have the retort which will never be read by anonymous out of the way, I will list my Christmas peeves:

    - Stores that put out Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving (I make exceptions for the craft stores, of course).

    - Shoppers fighting over stuff. As my youngest child says, "why fight over something when you can just ask Santa to make it for you?"

    - Black Friday shopping in general, unless it's online.

    - Anonymous blog haters. Actually that applies all year round. Not just at Christmas.

    - Yankees who complain about there being no snow "down here" at Christmastime. Funny thing, that equator. The closer you get to it, the warmer it is. Take a science class, Einstein.

    - Celine Dion. Actually she didn't bother me until Anon showed up. But since I see she attracts such rude fans, I'm taking it out on her.

    - And last but not least... and this is for Del... FAKE CHRISTMAS TREES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, marty, some people can get pretty snippy! anyway, i think laura got the little drummer boy dislike from me. i won't even play it when our handbell choir plays it during the season.

    I wish there was a law that stated no Christmas decorations or sales before dec. 1

    mall santas who do not even come close to looking real

    i love all the joy little kids have at Christmas, but I want to make sure that they know the true meaning of Christmas too. there can be a happy medium during the season.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete