Monday, November 10, 2008

A fashionista gone awry


My favorite line from one of my favorite movies goes like this: "She appeared to be clinically insane and wearing some kind of Yeti costume." That's Will's (Hugh Grant) assessment of Marcus' mom Fiona, when Marcus tries to set Will up with Fiona in the movie About a Boy. You can somewhat see the hairy sweater in the picture to the left.

I had similar sentiments when Michelle Obama walked on stage last Tuesday night as her husband accepted his role as our future president. In my opinion, Michelle Obama is a knockout. She's gorgeous. However, I was sorely disappointed when she walked onto the stage wearing this:

Michelle with the lovely Malia, the older daughter

When the Obamas took the stage in Chicago, I was still at work reporting on various elections and watching the television, and I heard myself say aloud, "No, no, no, Michelle. Honey, nooooooo. WHAT are you wearing?"

I mean, what is that? Is that thing around her waist a cumberbund or a sash or two belts that are crisscrossed? Is the dress red, is it black? Meantime, those dots are making me dizzy. Also, Is that a cardigan? I just don't know.

I mean, look how gorgeous she is. And I have loved her choice of outfits during the election, but wearing that dress during such a highly historical moment was a bad choice. It is busy and detracts from her beauty. I just can't figure it out. I wonder if it is Stacy and Clinton approved. (And if you don't know what I mean by that, please reconsider what it means to be my friend.)


Here is another look at Michelle's frock on a model:

Gross!

Did anyone else find her dress unflattering?? I look forward to seeing her First Lady wardrobe and maybe getting a few fashion pointers...that is, if she redeems herself after this catastrophe.

4 comments:

  1. Ditto, ditto, ditto.

    She could have had ANY outfit she wanted, and she picked THIS?! C'mon, First Lady-elect Obama, let's get back on the fashion bicycle even though this is the fashion equivalent of a scraped and perhaps bloody knee. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think she's trying to break away from the first-lady fashions, like the conservative suits they keep wearing. which is cool, but it may take a few tries to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. And I also agree that an understanding of the Stacy and Clinton allusion is a necessary requirement for friendship. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I don't know how I found your blog, but this post was extremely hilarious! And OH-MY-WORD I couldn't agree more! It was like she went temporarily insane! She does have great hair for sure! Love the blog - I'm sure I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete