Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Three years and counting


Today is August 13, 2008, and Kurt and I are celebrating our 3-year wedding anniversary. Our wedding day was a hot day, and we got married at 2:00 p.m. to ensure that lots of sun would shine through the church windows. The best part for me was sharing it with our friends who have been so faithful to us, helping us to build our relationship and to love one another. We have wonderful friends from college (and new ones in Tupelo, too!) and feel ABUNDANTLY blessed with our families as well.


This year we celebrated early by going to see Dave Matthews Band at Autozone Park in Memphis on August 2. It was a fabulous concert. We ran into some friends, bought some expensive water, inhaled some marijuana smoke from the "duuuuuuudes" in front of us, and dodged the sloshing beer from the middle-aged couple next to us doing dance moves only fit for MTV's "The Grind." (Dang security guards confiscated my Bombay Sapphire. I wish.) All in all, it really was a great concert. DMB is so talented, and I was so happy to go! And, Dave is a total babe. (See Kurt's take on the concert here.)

But, I have a confession to make. I'm pretty embarrassed about it. The Dave concert was only my (brace yourself)...2nd...concert to attend in my whole life! I mean, it was only my 2nd REAL concert to attend (because the 45 Christian music concerts I've attended do not count as real concerts. No arguments.).

My very first concert -- the Goo Goo Dolls at the Humphrey Coliseum at MSU when I was in 8th grade -- can only be attributed to my friend Christine Tibbett Barker (or is it Tibbett-Barker? Or still just Tibbett?). Her dad Ron -- best dad ever -- took us to the concert, and it took a lot of him convincing my grandmother for her to let me go. We got to stay out pretty late on a school night and even stopped to eat at Wendy's on the way home from the concert. Wild time, I know. But, that was my first concert experience, and I am thankful to Christine for that.

Christine has recently opened a bridal and formalwear store in Starkville called Christine's Couture. She was an Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandising major at MSU. After graduating college, she lived in Atlanta and worked in fashion there, but now she is back in Starkville and her business is booming! Christine (with me on the right) has lovely merchandise for weddings (wedding gowns and bridesmaids dresses) and formals/parties. If you or anyone you know are getting married or have a soirée to attend, please visit Christine's Couture at 201 E. Main St. in Starkville or on the web at www.christinescouture.com.

7 comments:

  1. i was in memphis that week-end and ran into a lot of dmb fans on the trolley as our group was going to eat. looked like a good time was had by all--even the hippie wannabes. dk

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Fun! Happy Anniversary you guys! I can't belive it's been three years since your beautiful wedding day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your wedding was a lovely day! i can't believe it's been 3 years already; i hope you have many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right..your wedding was HOT. "I am GONE!"...ahh fun times...glad you've made it 3 years..plenty more where those came from! love love..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey was checking out your blog and Graci saw the picture of you in your wedding dress and she said....aww Marty look like a Princes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You druggie. You might as well be smoking it if you're getting it second hand. Jesus is watching. ;)

    BTW, did you hear that DM's sax player died the other day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!! I have to add to your marijuana comment, though. A friend and I went to a DMB concert in college and LOVED IT!!! At least we think we did. For the life of us, we cannot remember any of the songs that they did, except "Crash", because we know we called Brent Sadler so he could listen. Fun times, fun times. Hope you guys are doing well!!!:)

    ReplyDelete