Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I saw the sign...


And it repulsed me beyond belief. Ok, I realize that may sound a bit extreme. In case you can’t read the sign above, it says, “When things seems to go wrong, try smiling.” Please read it closely. Catch the error? Well, if you are a Grammar Nazi like I am, you did. When I read this atrocious attempt at written wisdom on Jackson St. in Tupelo, I nearly lost control of my car and slammed into the sign. Things seems?....Things SEEMS??? That would be incorrect, Sir or Madam. Things, a plural subject, requires a singular verb. The correct wording would be "things seem." Here's why I disagree with this sign:
1. Because I disagree with and make fun of most church signs. I would like to meet the person (and would probably pay to do it) who says, "This church sign changed my life. Now I am complete. Now I am whole. All my troubles have disappeared. Thank you, church sign maker." I would like to assign a task to the person who is brave, funny, and creative enough to do it. Please make a "Real men of Genius" or "Real American Heroes" version of a song for "Mr. Church Sign Witty Phrase Maker." I would love to post some on here if anyone wants to do it. Hilarious!
2. Because, as I mentioned earlier, it is grammatically incorrect. It even bothers me that there is no comma after the dependent clause "When things seems to go wrong," but I doubt they make commas for cheesy church signs...just another downfall of that industry. I don't think I'll ever set a foot inside that church building because of that sign. I just cannot support the misuse of our beloved language. I bet God is a grammarian...He's just not as judgmental about it as I am.
3. Because I also disagree with the sign's advice. Let's say, hypothetically, that I rear-ended Kurt one day at a stop light because I was trying to change it to track # 7 on my rap mix cd...which wouldn't be all that uncommon if you've ever heard his comments about my driving capabilities. So, he gets out of the car and is pretty angry...nay, livid! Fortunately, I remember this jewel of wisdom I received once from a church sign. So, I smile at him. Do you think that would work? I doubt it.

For your convenience, I left the phone number visible in the picture in case you wish to call the church and complain about their grave mistake. You're welcome.



Also, here are some pictures from Halloween. I dressed in a child's costume. I'm a cowgirl with a horse growing out of my stomach and back. Kurt dressed as Mario! He was really excited about it. Also, the youth group rolled and forked our yard that night. "Forking" a yard is when numerous plastic utensils are stuck forcefully into the ground. Loads of fun to clean up.


And, I realized this evening as I was grocery shopping that I apologize to people more at the grocery store than anywhere else. Since it is usually so crowded (apparently I do not pick the best times to go), I usually have to move this way or that and squeeze through the clogged aisles, apologizing all the while for my inconvenient presence. The next time I come home with tons of grocery bags and Kurt asks me, "Where've you been?" I'll say, "Apologizing. You hungry?"

7 comments:

  1. I have fought the correct grammar usage problem for years and have made absolutely no progress. This stuff drives me up the wall -- particularly I become unhinged when the pronoun does not agree with its antecedent. Some of us know that the agreement must be in person, number and gender. Try telling that to a sportscaster.

    Thanks for pointing out the church sign error.

    Maybe I should proofread my post --did I make any mistakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as a fellow grammarian, I love this post. I was thinking along the lines of a "Real Men of Genius" before you mentioned it, though regretfully I am not the person to create that little ditty.
    I would also like to mention that years ago I participated in the activity of "forking," and I am sorry you fell victim to that wonderful prank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. i love a good church sign. i wish that i had taken the time to stop and take a picture of all of the good ones i've seen.

    2. kurt is right...he IS quite a sexy mario! i love it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you like to co produce my musical "Grammarians on Parade" ??????

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion the fight to restore correct grammar is a losing one. All aspects of the media are totally ignoring the rules of grammar as though they were meant for those living in the 19th century. I think one of the greatest culprits of this was the Whole Language concept that swept our elementary public school systems in this country about the time Kurt was in sixth grade. Fortunately he just missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best time to grocery shop is between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. The stores start getting busy around 4:00 p.m. and continue until 7:00. The weekends are the worst time to do major shopping unless you go at 8:00 a.m.

    ReplyDelete