Sunday, July 17, 2011

Genuine inquiry


Taking a break from the baby posting, I have a question. Sincerely. Not making fun of anyone.

It seems like in the past year or so (maybe more -- I'm not always up on trends), people have started listening to vinyl records again. It seems like it's a big deal. I admit I see it more among the "hipster" crowds, but nonetheless, it is trending. (Which would probably offend said group. Which I find amusing.)

My question is this: what is so good about vinyl? Does the music sound different (better) than if I bought it on iTunes and played it on my iPod? I just don't understand it, and I would appreciate some enlightenment.

My father-in-law plays his old records, but he's almost 65. What is the value to youngsters though? What makes it cool? Help! I want to be in the know.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard some hipsters claim that the analog recording of the vinyl album somehow provides a "richer" and "more natural" sound quality and they swear that digitized music in a CD or MP3 looses some analog quality.

    Personally I think it is total BS, however, because properly recorded digital music performs the digital sampling at a much higher rate than a human ear can detect anyway. I think it is more of a nostalgia thing than anything else.

    And besides, how could the analog recording somehow sound more natural with all of the pops and hiss added by playing a record anyway?

    ReplyDelete