Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Great book, decent movie


Kurt and I just finished reading The Secret Life of Bees. I read it in a week's time, told him it was good, and he finished it in two days. (Speedreader. Lame.)

We watched the movie last night. I tend to enjoy books more than movies, and this screenplay did not change my mind. It was not horrible, but still disappointed me in some areas. It mainly followed the book's storyline, but casting could've been better.

The best cast characters were Alicia Keys for June and Sophie Okonedo for May. However, Jennifer Hudson wasn't the right choice for Rosaleen and Oprah would've been a better pick for August than Queen Latifah. Dakota Fanning did a decent job as Lily, but I wasn't blown away.

Anyway, I highly recommend the book -- repeat, HIGHLY -- but I don't recommend the movie.
.

Speaking of remakes, I do have a favorite. One of my favorite books is Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Oddly enough, I also enjoy the Americanized/modernized movie version which stars Gwyneth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke.


Click the video below to see my favorite scene in the movie. I also love the music in this scene. It is an original score written for this movie.




3 comments:

  1. Imagine my joy when I got on your blog and found not 1 but 3 new posts from you! Good job.

    Yes, the road rage incident was in Jackson (of course it was). I'm known to honk at people, but never have I ever thrown things at another vehicle. What is this world coming to when you can't get in someone else's lane without being assaulted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, Great Expectations with GPaltrow and EH is THE BEST. made me see green in an even more enhanced way...more importantly, made me fall in love with Dickens all over again, and with greater depth than high school and college allowed. agree wholeheartedly...and, although this may seem sacraligious (sp?)...adore Kiera Knightly in Pride and Prejudice, too.

    ReplyDelete