Friday, March 7, 2008

This crazy weather...


I thought spring had finally arrived from the pleasant weather earlier this week -- clear skies, a crisp breeze, sunshine...but overnight it turned to cold dreariness -- white opaque skies, cold wind, rain (in case you need a definition of dreary weather). The power went out four times last night. Ode to friggin' joy. A storm was raging, so I didn't sleep much. Now the temperature has dropped dramatically and the weathermen (and weatherwomen) are predicting snow. I'll believe it when I see it. And, if I see it, it will be from inside my warm house looking out the window. I really really really dislike cold weather. I could live on the beach and see the sunshine and waves every single day and NEVER see any snow (except maybe on TV) and be totally content, nay, overjoyed! (Hint Hint, Kurt). I can see out the window right now and it just started sleeting. Just as I suspected: time to put down the laundry and bundle up on the couch with some hot tea and a good book.


On another note, my grandfather went bowling on Wednesday for the first time in 30 years and scored 143. He got 3 strikes and 3 spares, according to Grandmom. Granddad will be 84 in August, and he still practices medicine. He's in pretty good health (obviously), and he usually spends his Wednesdays on the golf course or the tennis court. However, the weather this past Wednesday was bad, so he went bowling in Starkville at Bulldog Lanes. Ha! My grandmother went with him, but only as his cheerleader. She didn't bowl. They are the cutest, sweetest people on earth! Apparently my grandfather used his old bowling ball and shoes that he used to wear 30 years ago. So cute!! Laurette's granddad is pretty cute, too. Mert and T.N. currently share the title of World's Cutest Granddad.

I heard that Robert H. "Doc" Foglesong retired as President of Mississippi State University today. Overall, I think that most people are relieved. I don't even know the man. I just think he has a funny last name. I know that some friends of mine who are still students at State were pretty ticked off about Fogie (my own personal abbreviation for him) wanting to mow down all the daffodils. However, I am concerned about higher matters, vis-à-vis, the following: I think Starkville and MSU need to hire someone who will get TCBY back to Starkville (and get rid of Cool Scoops, right LT?). That's my main concern (which is clearly why I have no vote in who they hire). I tried Cool Scoops last weekend, and it was good...not great. The yogurt's texture and flavor are far below that of TCBY. Tupelo doesn't even have a TCBY, and I am both saddened and ashamed. Anyway, if anyone knows or talks to our next MSU president, please be sure to voice my concerns. I think it'd make a huge difference in the lives of the Starkville residents and MSU students.

9 comments:

  1. "Saddend and ashamed" you crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was quite shocked to wake up this morning and see that it was snowing. Ok...flurries for 15 minutes. But it counts and it was cold. But never fear, it is to gradually warm up and will be 80 by this time next week. I'd join you on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am relieved that old Fogie is resigning. He tried managing out people no because of poor performance, but because he didn't agree with their tastes and methods. More importantly, TCBY had better resume business in Starkville by my next return home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't realize that TCBY had left Starkvegas! How tragic. There are no words...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine is looking to get a job in the president's office, so maybe she can help you out.

    As far as the power outage, it seems that you and Kurt get more than your fair share. I don't think we've had the power go out but once the whole time we've been in VA. We've had some nasty weather, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I came across your blog. How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No more TCBY? That IS tragic. Nothing compares to white chocolate mousse with heath bar topping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh don't get me started on TCBY again.

    uh oh...i think you just did...

    cool scoops is terrible...nothing compared to tcby. half of the time when i drive by, they're closed--it'll be in the middle of the afternoon! THAT MAKES NO SENSE! my guess is that they're not getting good business. maybe the cool scoops people learned their lesson. don't mess with tcby.

    upcoming problem i'll be facing: my bday is easter sunday. every year i have a tcby cake. they're the BEST! what am i supposed to do this year? i asked my parents to drive to tuscaloosa and get me one, but i'm not so sure how they'd be able to keep it from melting. let me know if you have any ideas/suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed, T.N. and Mert are neck and neck in the race...on another note, i was thinking the other day how much alike you and i are. Could we be twins separated at birth?

    ReplyDelete