Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Words of Wisdom


I need to write down all the things my grandmother says to me. Her comments almost always have to do with my weight (yes, she's always harped on lil' ol' me about my weight -- even though I have had my bigger times in the last year --) or my appearance (what I'm wearing, how my face/hair looks, etc.).

My grandmother is a proper lady. She hardly ever speaks a crass word, and if she does, she spells it. For example, one time she said, "I am so D-A-M-N angry..."

She and my precious grandfather stopped by my office today to give me a hug. I haven't seen them in a few weeks, and they were passing through Tupelo and wanted to see me. It was a pleasant visit as usual, but then we had this conversation:

"What meeting do you have today at 5:00?" asked Grandmom.
"It's with a pretty important client," says I.
"Well, make sure you put your powderpuff to your nose beforehand," Grandmom concluded.

Of course. Can't leave without commenting on my appearance. She is too proper to say, "Your face is shiny. Fix it."

She also likes to say, "You just need the taste." She says that when telling my grandfather he doesn't need a ton of jelly for his toast (because you just need enough to taste it, not enough to pack on the calories) or when ordering a kid's sized yogurt instead of a normal-sized one.

Stay tuned for more words of wisdom from my grandmother, who will put you down, but only in the nicest, most loving way.

3 comments:

  1. My grandmother is the same way. She told me recently that I really didn't need to wear white because it made me look like a boar. She also told me I probably need to wear more make up and I need to get rid of all my tshirts because I'm starting to look like a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you just need the taste :) And you always need to have the table set and the beverages ready. What was that funny thing she said about that girl in Leslie's play we saw? It was a polite word for trashy if that is possible, which only Martha could pull off :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah Grandmom...you should write a book...Mert asked me at Christmas if I had started my workout regiment to which I lied and replied Yes. "You know, you want to get back in shape so your husband will be proud of you." Yep, he went there.

    ReplyDelete